Before specializing in intellectual property litigation and international arbitration, Mr. Baker was a partner with a leading firm in Boston where he handled a wide variety of commercial and tort litigation. A representative list of some of his clients and types of cases is set forth below:
Product Liability and Other Torts
• A major US auto company in New England cases alleging that its vehicles spontaneously jumped from park to reverse, in cases alleging defective gas tanks, and in miscellaneous other matters.
• Another major US auto company in a case involving alleged spontaneous vehicle fires and in miscellaneous other matters involving death or serious bodily injury.
• A major manufacturer of elevators and escalators in connection with numerous and varied claims arising out of injuries incurred while riding its products.
• A printing press company in defense of a claim for injury incurred by an employee while operating its press.
• A major farm vehicle and trucking companies in claims related to the design of its step-gas-tank means of entry into the cabs of their vehicles.
• Various other clients in connection with miscellaneous product liability claims of all types.
• Multiple clients in connection with varied claims alleging tortious interference with contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and/or unfair and deceptive business practices.
• Four major motion picture film distributors in connection with various antitrust claims, including claims alleging “block booking” of films.
• A manufacturer of racing tires, New England race tracks, and race car drivers association against claims of price fixing and group boycott that resulted in a favorable First Circuit decision declaring a new sports exception to the antitrust laws.
• Other companies in claims of improper geographical restrictions, improper customer restrictions, and re-sale price maintenance.
Breach of Contract
• A franchisor in claim for wrongful breach of franchise agreement.
• A partner in a claim for wrongful breach of a business partnership agreement.
• Family members in a claim for breach of contract and other claims related to the dissolution of a family business enterprise.
• Other companies in connection with a wide variety of contract claims, including failure to pay for merchandise and services, breach of warranty, failure to indemnify, breach of UCC provisions regarding the sale of goods, and disputes regarding the ability to recover consequential damages.
• A major hospital in connection with claim of defective roofing.
• Miscellaneous other owners, contractors, and sub-contractors in connection with various claims for defective construction and project delay.
• A major national insurance company in a case seeking recovery of double indemnity benefits where the insured had disappeared more than seven years previously and had never been found.
• Miscellaneous other insurers in connection with claims under general liability and property damage policies.
• A manufacturer of felt filters in connection with a claim against a competitor for theft of trade secrets.
• A manufacturer in a claim for theft of clothing designs against a former employee.
• Other companies in various suits for theft of trade secrets, including the theft of customer lists and business marketing plans.
• Jail inmates in a major pro bono case alleging unconstitutional prison overcrowding.